This method allows you to extract the audio of FLV files (e.g. YouTube videos) using VLC and save it in MP3 format. I tested the instructions below with VLC on Mac OS X.
- Open the FLV file with VLC and stop it as soon as it starts playing.
- Open the VLC Wizard by clicking on File > Streaming/Exporting Wizard…
- Select Transcode/Save to file. Next.
- Select your file from the Playlist. Next.
- Check only the Transcode Audio checkmark (leave Video unchecked). Select 192 kb/s bitrate, and MP3 as the Audio codec. Next.
- Select MPEG-1 as encapsulation method. Save the file with any name, but with the extension MPG. (Don’t use MP3 at this time). Press Finish.
Once the transcoding is finished, repeat steps 1 to 6, except for:
- Choose the MPG file you just created as your input file.
- Change the encapsulation method as RAW. Save the new file with the extension MP3.