Today I am happy to share an extensive training deck on Apache Storm version 0.9, which covers Storm’s core concepts, operating Storm in production, and developing Storm applications. I also discuss data serialization with Apache Avro and Twitter Bijection.
The training deck (130 slides) is aimed at developers, operations, and architects.
What the training deck covers
- Introducing Storm: history, Storm adoption in the industry, why Storm
- Storm core concepts: topology, data model, spouts and bolts, groupings, parallelism
- Operating Storm: architecture, hardware specs, deploying, monitoring
- Developing Storm apps: Hello World, creating a bolt, creating a topology, running a topology, integrating Storm and Kafka, testing, data serialization in Storm, example apps (with kafka-storm-starter), performance and scalability tuning
- Playing with Storm using Wirbelsturm
Many thanks to the Twitter Engineering team (the creators of Storm) and the Apache Storm open source community!